Index     FAQ      Search

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:32 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Trip Costs - a general guide. 
 Post subject: Trip Costs - a general guide.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:28 am 
RT GOD

Hey guys.

For anyone who's wondering quite what sort of cost will get you to the 'Ring and back, I thought I'd suggest a few estimates.

Of course, the cost of the trip will vary depending on where you are journeying from, as fuel will be extra, and in the case of the Irish boys, there are extra ferries to be factored in.

Speaking personally, I'm coming from West Wiltshire, so my estimates are based on journey from there.

Allowing £250 for the fuel for the trip is probably about right from Wiltshire,- though again this will differ if you are coming from further afield, and it also will of course depend on how heavily you favour your right foot throughout the drive. For me, that would comfortably cover fuelling there and back, and my laps of the 'Ring.

The camp site that we will be attending, charge €5 per night per tent pitch for 2 man tents, €6,50 for 3-6 man tents, €11 for 7-9 man tents, and €14 for 10 man + tents.

If you can find another person you could stand to share a small chalet with, two man chalets are also available on the camp site's grounds. These are available at €65 per night.

As well as the two man chalets, there is also a four man chalet available, and the cost for this is €80 per night.

I won't go into further detail here now, as I intend to put up another discussion on the accomodation in a moment, where I will cover detail.

Our Ferry last year was £60 return. Options (and costs) on Ferries vary of course with ports and times, with Ferries from Dover going every two hours.

So, if you're looking at going from Wilts, taking this estimate as an example, let's have some totals, including the three levels of accommodation, in order of decadence;

(N.B: All accommodation prices worked out before any discount is applied.)

Trip Costs per capita based on two man tent accommodation -
Tents with as many creature comforts as your average tent.

£250 for fuel,
£60 for ferries (subject to change depending on discount and when you book),
£22 accommodation (roughly, going on exchange rates)
Estimate, rounded up slightly - £350.

Trip Costs per capita based on two man chalet accommodation -
Small roof apex walled chalet - two single beds, electricity, heating, small toilet/wash/shower room.

£250 for fuel,
£144 for accommodation (roughly, going on exchange rates)
Estimate, rounded up slightly - £500

Trip Costs per capita based on four man chalet accommodation -
Large, two storey roof apex walled chalet - two single beds upstairs, double bed downstairs, (we found two extra matresses in ours when we rented for the last day last year), electricity, heating, television, toilet/wash/shower room, cloakroom, small kitchen with cupboards and electric oven and fridge, dining table with bench seating and chairs, balcony and a lovely view over the valley.

£250 for fuel,
£88.00 for accommodation
Estimate, rounded up slightly - £450

With the four man chalets, last year we found they were agreeable enough to accommodating five persons per night, however, and per capita that then works out at £70.50 for the five nights. We'll discuss possibility of this, as well as discounts when we ring about them, which will hopefully be on Friday.

I'm not factoring into any of my estimates such things as breakdown cover premiums, or subtotals on insurance premiums to cover European driving - those are such an individual variable, it would be unfair to suggest figures for them, I feel.
That said, to give a vague idea, speaking personally, last year my European Breakdown Recovery policy cost me circa £40, and there was no extra on my insurance policy - as I was able to state exactly how long a period of time I would require continental cover for as part of the policy. This information is retrospective, and is not a guarantee of similar costs for the trip.

Also worth factoring in, is quite how many laps you plan to do of the 'Ring.

Per lap, the cost of going round the Nordschleife, is €22 (just under £20), though on bulk buying, it does become cheaper. Last year, Tom Pinney bought a bulk of 25 laps, for example, which worked out at €15/lap.

Other than the above costs, any extra expenditure is really down to how much you drink and eat in six days, folks!

Thanks,

Chris.

1994 Rover 820 Vitesse fastback
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8
<< Vard's Vouch Thread >>

Profile Feedback  

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]