Index     FAQ      Search

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 New goodies 
 Post subject: New goodies
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:35 pm 
Rovertech Veteran

Thought i'd show you what I've just received and cant wait to try out. Ill update this thread once I get a good go at it.

Feedback thread

Profile Feedback  

Post subject: Re: New goodies
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:38 pm 
RT GOD

Some good stuff there. :)

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:35 pm 
Bronze Trader

Bronze Trader

Top of the range kit there

220 Coupe Turbo "Robocoop"
GTi Returns
Greg

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:16 pm 
Rovertech Veteran

All the gear, no idea I believe the phrase is!

Feedback thread

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:06 am 
RT GOD

What is it?
Looks like stuff the bird would use on her hair, nails and furry regions?

mk3 200ti: 303bhp +323ftlbs viewtopic.php?t=3553
BMW 135i: 390bhp +410ftlbs

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:19 am 
Rovertech Veteran

jase wrote:
What is it?
Looks like stuff the bird would use on her hair, nails and furry regions?

Lol, First on the left is an iron and fallout remover (basically disolves tar/dirt etc) Then an exterior plastics cleaner/restorer. In the middle is the lance to create the snow foam which attaches to my karcher, on the right is the snow foam and in front is masking tape for when I polish so the residue doesn't go places I don't want.

Feedback thread

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:41 pm 
RT GOD

I tend to use a clay for removing tar, is that stuff better? And presumably the plastic stuff is better than using back to black? Ive not a clue about car care and make a right mess at times!

mk3 200ti: 303bhp +323ftlbs viewtopic.php?t=3553
BMW 135i: 390bhp +410ftlbs

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:15 pm 
Rovertech Veteran

It's designed to remove iron filings and industrial fallout which damage paintwork, it may struggle with large tar deposits but as I haven't tried it yet I don't know. My brother has tried iron x on his white octavia vrs and says that worked a treat on tar, tri x is supposed to do what iron x does and more. I'm hoping to have a go tomorrow, if so I'll let you know how it does.

Feedback thread

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:01 pm 
Rovertech Veteran

Ok, So I wasnt cleaning the Rover but products tested never the less!

I got to have a go with my new cleaning goodies over the weekend, Saturday was a write off as it rained all day. Sunday looked good as no rain and overcast so no direct sun, typically when I could get started after moving cars and getting the jet wash out the sun came out in full force (products all say do not apply in direct sunlight) Still, I was determined to carry on regardless.

It had been a while since its last clean, including approx 3-400 motorway miles in all weathers and being by the coast.

Some pics of the car before:

First off I filled the foam lance bottle with 1-2" of the Auto Finesse Avalanche then the remainder with water (as per instructions) and fitted it to my jet wash.
It took a while to get the lance dialled in with regards to the spray pattern (so I wasn't inadvertently washing the neighbours cars as well) and also thickness of foam but now its set I shouldn't have to alter it whilst using this product. This first application was with a dry car, the bottle didn't say otherwise, and although it covered well it didn't hang around for long (2-3 mins)

I rinsed it off before it dried but couldn't beat the sun and it left marks all over the car.

I didnt bother drying it but re-applied the snow foam to a now wet car and it seemed to cling for longer, it was still leaving marks as I rinsed it off so I juggled the wash mit and the jet wash and then dried it

It looks ok from a distance but didn't removed what I had hoped for (maybe I was hoping for too much)

With the car dry, I moved on to the CarPro TRI.X mainly for the wheels but also applied to the more stubborn parts of the bodywork.

Here is a vid (much similar to Greggs Dragon Breath vid) I cant work out how to embed it so here's a link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-6RzT9pe6s

Just a quick note, this stuff does stink and the water gully looked like I had dismembered a body nearby, it was so red!

The last product I tried was by far the most impressive, the Sonax Extreme plastic restorer.

Some blurb from the website: "Microscopic nano-particles deeply penetrate into the grained and structured surfaces, resulting in long-term protection and really long-lasting conservation. Intensively freshens up the colours and produces a rich, deep shine on the treated surfaces. Also ideal for tyres and rubber components."

Here is one of the mirror mounts before.

I masked off the paintwork around the top of the mirror but tested the bottom and found it wipes off easily so no real need to mask off.

Its a clear gel so good for any colour plastic, also only a small amount goes a long way so it the tube should last ages.

Quick vid of sides for comparrison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzbI2WJKVCQ

I also tried it on the window rubbers

I then went round and looked for any other plastics I could improve as I was hooked!

Overall, it is possible I was expecting too much (spray on, leave, wash off and done:-)) The snow foam didn't cling for as long as I would have liked, although helped with a wet car, and didn't soften as much as I wanted (again cling time poss the issue).

The TRI.X worked well on the wheels but does need patience when leaving to work ( 10 mins seemed good) I will be keeping an eye on the lacquer peel on the wheels in case it is made worse.

By far the most impressive product was the plastic restorer in every way, quantity, application, finish. The only part I can't comment on is the longevity but will keep you updated.

Hope this is of some help, thanks for reading.

Feedback thread

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:16 pm 
RT GOD

Great work. I have to admit, I didn't find the snow foam that I have that great either but I guess it just makes the cleaning process (2bm) just a little easier as the dirt will most likely be looser then before so easier to clean. Perhaps the snow foam will be more effective to an already well maintained car. I can't access the video, must be my ipad. So did you wash the car after you snow foamed it? If so, it should of taken all the marks off it and if you dry it quick you will minimise any watermarks. Do you plan to clay the vehicle? Good work. Love the transformation on the plastics. :)

Profile Feedback  

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]