Index     FAQ      Search

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 anyone changed clock & instrument panel bulbs to diff colour 
 Post subject: anyone changed clock & instrument panel bulbs to diff colour
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:05 pm 
Forum Senior

As above I am wondering has anyone changed their time clock and speedo/rev counter instrument panel from the original orange colour display to another colour? I am wondering as I would like to modernise this to a nice LED white bulbs possibly or something simular.
I have just bought a couple of the speedo/instrument panel bulbs & holders and they have an orange film on them.
I have Lockwood cream dials fitted but I am gonna replace these with a new white set.I hope someone can help or point me in the right direction.

Thanks. Lee.

Profile Feedback  

Post subject: Re: anyone changed clock & instrument panel bulbs to diff co
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:55 pm 
RT GOD

many years ago i think

iirc the rear of the instruments has an orange tint which needs to be lightly sanded away,

waay to much hassle plus im getting old

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:44 am 
Forum Senior

Don't bother with the Lockwood Dials mate as no light shines through them, they look good
in the day but naff at night, get a set of late spec ROVER 25 dails, they are cream, easy to
make the digital mileage work and you should be able to find a set with similar mileage too
but not sure which ones would be best unless I saw your current dials and if yours has ABS
etc but there should be a topic on here.

I upgraded my 25 clocks to the cream ones and to freshen them up I left the orange filter
on the back and fitted super bright white LED's, it still lights up orange as normal but with
a nice fresh white glow too.

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:00 am 
Forum Senior

Before I forget, Red LED's work fine on OEM dials as it shines through as red even with
the orange filter, Vinny said its a massive faff to remove the orange filter and unless
you are careful you can damage the dials, most people attempt to remove the needles,
this is a big no no, do not remove them but to actually rub them down with them in
place is a very delicate procedure, I have done it 3 times, once done I added some matte
opaque tape on the sanded areas to diffuse the light like the orange filter does.

The heater panel is also a ballache, best thing to do with them is get a metal set with the
design of your choice on the front and then your colour of choice, i'd go plain white as you
can just change the bulb colour.

If you want to be a cheapskate like me, get the cheapo card ones off ebay, they look fine.

If you have the time, and the patience to do it you can go mad like me, I went nuts a few
years back with my custom LED's, plus I wanted to make EVERYTHING light up, I kept it all
orange as I like the OEM look.

I'll probably do all this again to my Cabby, tempted to go warm white LED's like
my MGF or possibly a cooler white, not decided yet.

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:59 am 
Forum Senior

Here's a pic of my cream 220 coupe turbo dials.As you say look ok in the day, they are terrible by night.They are not light up in this pic, just for reference. I was gonna get the Lockwood white dial set as per my post above.I take it that's a no no then.My worry is that whoever fitted the dial kit has removed the needles, I really hope not as you say that is a big no no. Yes I do have the ABS on my car.

So how do I go about Rover 25 dials? So best leave the orange tint then, sounds like a very intricate operation..lol.
What size LED bulbs have you bought for the speedo/clocks etc 286? I thought the bulbs come with the holders and I also thought the bulbs won't come out of the holders?
Will the 25 dials fit directly into my panel in place of the originals? I love the look of those MGF white clocks you have.The switches,heaters and console looks great.
Thankyou for spending the time to post up pics and replying, very good info indeed,much appreciated.

Cheers.Lee.

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:39 pm 
Forum Senior

Just spotted you have the early clocks, are they back lit at all as the MGF ones which use
a similar set of clocks are only front lit.

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:44 pm 
Forum Senior

Just had a quick look on ebay and Mk1.5/Mk2 cream speedos only seem to go to 130mph,
not seen any 150mph ones so that may be an issue, there are guides on here on wiring one
up, I think all you need to do is fit an additonal wire to make the milage work but not sure
as I have not done it myself, you may need to remove the speedo cable and swap it for
a drive sensor type.

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:48 pm 
Forum Senior

Ah right ok, something to consider. I have now also been advised about the plasma dials, they look great, not sure if the make them anymore for the 200 coupe.

Thanks. Lee.

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:56 pm 
Forum Senior

You can get them for the MGF which uses a similar set of clocks but they can looks
gash and if you have to remove the needles you could end up breaking your clocks.

If you want cream stock dials you could mess around with a set of MGF clocks, they
are front lit only and are cream, always get some small gel stickers to cover the MG
logos up.

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:06 pm 
Forum Senior

ROVER-25X wrote:
You can get them for the MGF which uses a similar set of clocks but they can looks
gash and if you have to remove the needles you could end up breaking your clocks.

If you want cream stock dials you could mess around with a set of MGF clocks, they
are front lit only and are cream, always get some small gel stickers to cover the MG
logos up.

I don't really want cream dials if I am honest.I have contacted the makers of the plasma dial kits, sadly they don't make them anymore for the 200 series. However he did say if I can get a minumum order of 5 sets then he will make a new batch.I wonder if any other 200 owners would be interested in that?

Thanks. Lee.

Profile Feedback  

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]