Index     FAQ      Search

It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:27 pm

Forum rules

Welcome to the Forum, please read our rules before posting.

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Greetings from the Colonies! 
 Post subject: Greetings from the Colonies!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:56 pm 
Newborn - handle with care

Hello there, Rover petrolheads!

I recently came across the opportunity of owning a Rover 620ti, and decided to turn to the best source of answers,
the owners and fans!

So here I am, ready to bombard you with questions! So, where should I post them without the fear of relocation?

Best regards from the scorching South that is Cyprus,
Apollon

Post subject: Re: Greetings from the Colonies!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:58 pm 
RT GOD

wherever you like :lol:

welcome

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:42 pm 
Rovertech Kiloposter

:welcome:

What do you want to know about Ti ownership ?

98 620 Si
94 Primera 1.6LX
96 Saab 900XS; conrod leaves block, RIP
94 218 SLDt
Tempra Est1.9dt
85 VW Golf 1.3CL
91 Ren 19 1.7TXE
86 Cavalier1.6L
84 Cit BX16TRS

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:31 pm 
RT GOD

There's a few sections to look at. Lots of info on here somewhere!

Greetings from a slightly warm England :)

Drew

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:43 pm 

Thank you for the warm wellcome, guys! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

vinny19791 wrote:
wherever you like :lol:

welcome

Why not here, then?

The one I'm interested in has about 45.000 miles. it looks nearly perfect, inside and out, no rust at all,and the engine bay looks... dusty.

The guy who has it now drives it 4-5 times a week, but mainly in the city of Nicosia, which is not much.

Before that, about a year and a half ago, the car was in storage for 3-4 years.

Everything works perfectly, no leaks at all, just some colourful "dust" on the one pole of the battery.

Well, apart from the obvious service, is there something to look for?

The battery works fine, do I clean it and get on with the rest, or is it a sign of anything ominous?

The 620Tis all have Torsens, don't they? Anything suspicious to check there? Do they need an oil change, or is it "for life"(I'm not sure where I read that)? I haven't had any cars with this kind of diff before, but there were no mystery sounds.

The brakes work perfectly, the ABS as well, but they squeak a bit. that may be the pads, though.

I really liked the comfy ride, and the fact that the driver seat's height is adjustable. the power is not bad, too, but it's not the reason I like it.

I will most likely get the car, not looking for reasons not to, but I would like to be aware of any "traps".

Thank you in advance! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:18 pm 
Forum Senior

Get hold of the inner CV joints where they go into the gearbox and see if there is any movement. That and a useless handbrake are about the only 2 main issues. Check to make sure the front windows go up and down as they should also.

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:38 am 

Badboyrich wrote:
Get hold of the inner CV joints where they go into the gearbox and see if there is any movement. That and a useless handbrake are about the only 2 main issues. Check to make sure the front windows go up and down as they should also.

Windows are all ok, driver's recently replaced.

Thanks for the advice on the CV joints and the handbrake, will check for sure! :cheers:

Anything else?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:06 am 
Rovertech Kiloposter

As said, it's really the front electric windows, handbrake and the diff bearings. One other point not mentioned is the gear change. Where the gear selector shaft is connected to the gearbox that join can wear leading to "sloppy" gear change. There are various modifications described to "fix" this problem.

No other real "weak" points for the Ti. One thing to bear in mind is it is now an "old" car, so parts will be starting to wear out.

Front windows; keep the window channels frequently lubricated with a silicon spray. Either the motor is too powerful, and/or the scissor mechanism not strong enough. If the window guide rubber gets dry and stiff the glass "sticks" a bit leading to damage of the mechanism (blame Honda for that).

Diff bearings can collapse; often related to "hard" starts from standstill. The often mentioned mileage for this is around 100,000 miles. As the car must be at least 18 years old now, probably a good idea to replace the gearbox fluid, which also lubricates the diff. Oil to use is MTF94, readily available from internet, or possibly a Land Rover dealer. I think the gearbox oil capacity is around 2 to 2.2 litres.

In respect of the diff, it should be a TorSen B.

Cambelt should be changed every 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes sooner. Good idea to check when that was last done. The water pump is "external" to the cambelt (in front of the engine block), so not necessary to change that with the cambelt.

Front brake discs not the easiest to change (it's a Honda design), the wheel bearing is in front of the disc, so has to be removed to change the disc.

If not there already, it may develop an oil leak from the front left hand side (when standing in front of car, guess that's the driver side for you) of the HG. Had this all the time I've had my Ti. Not HG failure as such, just the oilway there is outside the clamping force of the head bolts. The T series engine also known to leak/weep oil a bit from the camshaft seals and cam covers.

Oh, and if the owner still has the red key, DO NOT, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES use this in the ignition. It will almost certainly wipe the immobiliser code and leave you stranded. This red key was used to code new keys if needed (which required Rover's T4 Testbook). All the red key is useful for now would be to cut a new key blade.

98 620 Si
94 Primera 1.6LX
94 218 SLDt
Tempra Est1.9dt
85 VW Golf 1.3CL
91 Ren 19 1.7TXE
86 Cavalier1.6L
84 Cit BX16TRS

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:15 am 

The gear change is tight, and feels sure. Some hard starts sure have occurred, due to the current owner's heavy foot, but other than the clutch, that has been replaced, no gearbox problems seem to exist. The clutch pumps have been serviced, as well. The gearbox only has 45000 miles, so... I hope for the best. Gearbox oil will be replaced, then, when I get the car, thank you for pointing that out.

Cambelt will be checked, of course.

There was some oil leak from the camshaft cover, but it was fixed and now it's tight and clean. I will have my eyes on it, and for HG leaks, though. We are RHD here, like in the UK, by the way! :mrgreen:

The brake pads were replaced last year, so I'm guessing there was no need for the brake discs to be replaced. I will have them checked, as well, to be sure.

I didn't have the slightest idea for the Red Key, neither for this car, nor for any other car! Good to know this.
Is it actually red? or is it called this for some reason?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:24 pm 
Rovertech Kiloposter

apovrasma wrote:
I didn't have the slightest idea for the Red Key, neither for this car, nor for any other car! Good to know this.
Is it actually red? or is it called this for some reason?

The key, well the fob part of the key, is actually red, hence "the red key".

The day to day use key fobs should be black.

In fact, on subject of keys, there are two types depending on how old the car is. Up until 1996 ish, when the 600 was "facelifted" by Rover, it is a single key that you press on the fob to use the remote central locking. On the facelift cars there are two fobs; one has the buttons to work the central locking, the other has the key for the locks & ignition barrel. The fob of the actual key contains the chip that "talks" to the immobiliser.

Good to hear you drive on the proper side of the road (you can also tell that means I've never been to Cyprus).

98 620 Si
94 Primera 1.6LX
94 218 SLDt
Tempra Est1.9dt
85 VW Golf 1.3CL
91 Ren 19 1.7TXE
86 Cavalier1.6L
84 Cit BX16TRS

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:29 pm 
RT GOD

I presume rust ISNT an issue in cyprus?

:thumbup: :lol:

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:51 pm 

The car has the central lock fob separately, a third stoplight so, from what I read, it's a facelifted one.
Don't know if the owner even has the red one, but I'm glad you told me.

vinny19791 wrote:
I presume rust ISNT an issue in cyprus?

:thumbup: :lol:

Rust IS a problem here, due to constant humidity, but only in some areas. To be fair, rust is usually only ON the car, not underneath it. Door seals, sunroofs and windshield seals get rusty. Seriously annoying! In addition to that, the cars have a FLAKING problem. Even cars built after 2005, depending on the manufacturer and, of course, the colour. Damn sun, even internal plastics melt in cheap-made cars! :-x :-x :-x :-x

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]