Index     FAQ      Search

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Driveway Feature Lighting? 
 Post subject: Driveway Feature Lighting?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:06 pm 
RT GOD

I'm in the middle of having a new driveway and wall built round the outside parimeter of our home.

Driveway is dug out and the hardcore is down...

I would like to sort out some lighting for the driveway and my preference is powered via the mains which means running cables in conduit underground.

I have been looking at solar powered lighting recently which would be a lot easier, although I do question the reliability of these things 365 days a year.

I've got around 3-5 weeks to sort something out before the wall/driveway are finished so I'm looking for ideas and anyone who can share their experience on this subject and possibly some recommendations of products.

Profile Feedback  

Post subject: Re: Driveway Feature Lighting?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:29 pm 
Rovertech Kiloposter

Any electric cable that is underground should be in armoured cable (not your normal twin & earth in conduit). However, what you'll get away with depends on whether you'll have the council building inspector's round, or not, and how amenable your sparks is with regard to part P sign off.

We had LED lights rated at IP65 installed in wall and the drive about 6 years ago, drive ones delineated the edge of the driveway, not cheap lights either @ £65/light. Work was done in the summer (you can probably guess where this is going). Looked brilliant all summer, through (dry) autumn and into early winter. However, eventually water/condensation built up in them and we've never been able to use them since, water ingress keeps tripping the fusebox. Builder came and mucked about with them on several occasions, would work for a month or so, then tipping out back again. Both he and we eventually gave up.

So my experience, don't get LED, use some sort of filament bulb lights as it helps drive off condensation. I'd also say go for IP66 rated (or whatever the IP rating is for full water immersion).

Like you, not convinced solar ones would be that effective in the winter months.

98 620 Si
94 Primera 1.6LX
96 Saab 900XS; conrod leaves block, RIP
94 218 SLDt
Tempra Est1.9dt
85 VW Golf 1.3CL
91 Ren 19 1.7TXE
86 Cavalier1.6L
84 Cit BX16TRS

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:12 pm 
RT GOD

Hey Pinkie, appreciate the feedback.

From what I've seen on various forums, this is sadly the case with brick lights.

I'll get the wiring done professionally if I go down this route but totally see your point with these things weathering over time and causing a short on the circuit.

Looking to install 2-3 lights and don't mind paying the price if they can last a few years!

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:07 am 
Forum Senior

I fitted a couple of ENDON Ware corner lights on the side of the house, I chose them
as you can fit 23w curly fluorescent energy savers in them, bright as hell.

Style 1: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ware-Outdoor- ... SwrhBZFE8T

Style 2: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saxby-Endon-W ... 0005.m1851

Last one is available in back and white, if you make a wedge out of wood they can be
flat mounted, always head it up and bend it if needs be.

I recommend the 23w E27 bulbs from Wilkos.

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:56 am 
Rovertech Kiloposter

james3990 wrote:
Hey Pinkie, appreciate the feedback.

From what I've seen on various forums, this is sadly the case with brick lights.

I'll get the wiring done professionally if I go down this route but totally see your point with these things weathering over time and causing a short on the circuit.

Looking to install 2-3 lights and don't mind paying the price if they can last a few years!

No worries James.

My other thought to reduce water ingress & short circuiting could be to have the connection between the feed & light in a torpedo type joint and the sparks packs that full of the water repellent stuff they use. Though if your lights pack up it'll make it a ballache to change.

I also think it's key you find someone with experience of "paving level" light fitting. Ours were done by the sparks when we were having an extension built, he didn't really have that sort of experience.

The drive light circuit tripping in itself not an issue, but with modern fuseboxes (consumer unit), it actually tripped out the whole thing. Of course this was usually at night and plunged the whole house into darkness !!

Maybe R-25X's suggestion could work for you.

EDIT - You can see the type of lights we fitted just under the front bumper in the below photo. Think we had 6 drive lights and 8 wall lights on separate circuits. The wall lights do still work, or at least they were when sold the place 18 months ago (but I've no photos of them).

98 620 Si
94 Primera 1.6LX
96 Saab 900XS; conrod leaves block, RIP
94 218 SLDt
Tempra Est1.9dt
85 VW Golf 1.3CL
91 Ren 19 1.7TXE
86 Cavalier1.6L
84 Cit BX16TRS

Profile Feedback  

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]