Index     FAQ      Search

It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Intermittent Oil Pressure 
 Post subject: Intermittent Oil Pressure
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:29 pm 

Afternoon All,

I've been having some issues with the engine oil pressure with my 400 L-series diesel.

Just a quick bit of background.
At the end of last year, I was noticing that the oil pressure light was taking longer and longer to go out after starting the engine in the morning, up to about a minute at the worst case. When it did go out however, it was then OK for the rest of the day - it would go out almost instantly starting the engine later on that day.

However, one day the light didn't go out at all. I stupidly continued to drive as I was only 1/2 mile from home. Anyway, eventually I stopped the car.

I stripped down the bottom end and replaced the big end and main bearings. I also cleaned up the big end journals on the crankshaft as best I could, using very fine emery cloth.

I also cleaned out the suction strainer (which was a little clogged), replaced the sealing o-ring and for good measure, replaced the oil pump assembly with a new one. I have fitted a new filter (Crosland) and refilled with the correct amount of oil.

I have also fitted an oil pressure gauge.

So, the situation that I now have is that the oil pressure light won't go out and there is no pressure on the gauge when I start the engine, if I leave the car overnight. Obviously I've only run the engine for 20s or so like this. To get the pump to raise pressure, I have to prime the pump by forcing oil into the oil cooler pipe near the filter. Once the engine is running like this, there is ~45PSI at idle and ~60PSI once I rev the engine.

So, my question is - what is happening to the oil which should stay in the pump, which I'm replacing when I prime it?

Any other ideas/thoughts would also be very welcome - I'm not sure where to go at the moment.

Thanks in advance. :)

Post subject: Re: Intermittent Oil Pressure
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:31 pm 
Rovertech Kiloposter

I'd be tempted to by a low milage 25 L series for a few hundred quid and drop that in

Profile Feedback  

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]