PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:06 pm 
Newborn - handle with care

hello I'm in the process of building a td04 mg zr td
ill try get some pictures listed if i get much response

Post subject: Re: hello new to this forum
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:37 pm 
RT GOD

Welcome to the forum :)

What are you doing, rebuilding the engine or the car?

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:40 pm 
Rovertech Kiloposter

Hey there a mate put a td05 turbo on the left series along with longer ratio Box but with the Rev range been non existent after 4500rpm it was a bit more Laggy than the standard turbo and just wasn't worth the effort unfortunately he said it was a lot more drivable with just the sdi 's De cat and mafless remap.

I currently have a zr td with mafless remap sdi injectors De cat and filter it's mentioned to be 150bhp it's got plenty of punch and is fairly reliable, if your wanting big power from a diesel think the best route is to go down the golf/Leon 1.9 pd engine a remap intercooler and exhaust will see just she of 200bhp this will he the route ill be going when I get the spare cash but fir the time being the trusty L series will do.

I'm not saying don't do it but just thought I'd mention what my mate had to sag about it

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:40 pm 
RT GOD

Theirs a bloke on here with a 200bhp l series, he doesn't post much but he has its spec sheet on here so you can get some inspiration.

Thread
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=121423

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:37 am 
Silver Trader

Silver Trader

We've got one too (or had!) :D

I did several dyno runs on a dyno dynamics, pulling between 200-212bhp on a rover 45, (which was my development vehicle at the time), using a custom built VNT turbo and controller combination, we have used this technology as a base to do another build for a customer using a slightly smaller turbo (GTB1756) but with better fabrication.

The setup of mine will be likely going in my ZR later this year, if I can get things sorted.

I've also tuned several td04 l-series turbo builds, there's a few different td04 turbos out there, we've one yet to dyno but we've done the tuning for (hoping we can persuade the chap to book a session in this or next month), another got approx 180bhp iirc on a sun dyno about a year ago. We've also tuned a few GT15 hybrids using different turbine wheels to around the 180 mark, and we've yet another vnt build in the works.

So, in short, we're no stranger to high powered L-series. Anyway, welcome to the forum! There's stilla lot of people active on these boards even if there's not a lot of posts, I'm aware facebook is all the rage now but the amount of twaddle pandered about on the groups leaves a lot to be desired, so the old timers still lurk on the forums :)

Turbo200, how is the tune going that we did for you a few weeks back? I could also do to know if you're likely to bump into any VAG Garrett PD 1.9 turbos on your travels as I could use a dead one at some point as I need to look at the vane pack on them

Producing the highest power diesel rovers you're likely to see :D

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:53 am 
Rovertech Kiloposter

Iirc vag pd engine cars cost a lot more to buy. my Old 150bhp 45 td was a far easier car to drive than my wife's 150bhp gttdi golf and the rover held the gears far longer with a longer power band. But then we paid twice the price for the golf than the entire 45 with sdi's.

Mg zs180 Black (wifes)
Mk2 Rover 45 113se td (my Toy)

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:09 pm 
Rovertech Kiloposter

:oops:

Last edited by turbo200 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:12 pm 
Rovertech Kiloposter

I'm nor saying don't do it, Iv always thought about chasing more power just never got round to it. Like data says bigger turbo and exhaust system followed by some dyno mapping and your onto a winner.

As for a few weeks back dakta I'm sure it was about 6 month ago :lol: time fly ey! The 75 was a weapon. Unfortunately it's mot ran out and I just didn't have the heart for it. It had done it's job and served it's purpose (mobile skip!) As did well when I was doing the house up. So had to say goodbye to my disappointment. Never skipped a beet but just was a lot untidy, dented panels scratched all over and so on. Engine was bullet proof never had to pop the hood.

sent it away to the scrappers for a few bits for the zr.

I'm back in the L series and it's doing well will be taking it off road in the next month and getting the T series out for a bit of winter fun!

As for the PD I'm longing for one but it's the price that's putting me off. My mate says there a lot more solid cars when he jumped into mine said he forgot how much of a bone shaker they were. I kind of like that about them you get a real feel for the road. You have me thinking now do I go vag or upgrade the L?

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:52 pm 
Silver Trader

Silver Trader

Quote:
As for a few weeks back dakta I'm sure it was about 6 month ago

what can I say? time flies by when you're having fun :thumbdown:

TBF though, it's a bit of an improvement as I normally can't remember what I did the previous week :/

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:29 pm 
Rovertech Kiloposter

Tell me about it, get that lump dropped in a zr, Aaron has loads if spare bits for the vw if you want his number drop me a message and will pass it over.

Are house keeping busy?

What go do Kris upgrade the last series of vague it out?

I'm mg through and through and don't want to go to the dark side

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:18 am 
Silver Trader

Silver Trader

Quote:
What go do Kris upgrade the last series of vague it out?

I beg your pardon :P

I've managed to get my paws on a GT1749VA with a billet comp wheel for the BKD, but I'm looking for a turbo for the 1.9 lumps :(

I'll be sticking MG myself for projects, even though the MG/Rover diesels are a dying breed I like being different.

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:28 am 
RT GOD

Might be worth looking at my camper thread if you need some TD04 L series inspiration. Just wish I had the time to complete it! Its a bit old skool turbo tech, but then the car is old skool too!

http://roverdiesel.co.uk/forums/viewtop ... f=16&t=206

That runs a TD04 13T from memory.

Should do a nice conservative 150, but probably headroom for nearer 180 depending on how smokey I go.

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:12 pm 
Rovertech Kiloposter

Sorry Kris good old predictive text!

Ment to say don't know whether to go to the dark side or stick with the trusty L.

It just keeps trucking up the miles :roll:

Would like to have a fettle with it just time and money I guess. Look forward to seeing how you get on. What power figures will you be looking at?

As for the maestro van I love it its bad donkey boy! Do you still use it or is it stooed away? Did you complete it? Ever have it remapped with the bigger turbo? Love it. Iv always wanted one there's one round here which I rarely see a true classic! Love the L series conversion pure class!! :notworthy:

A mate always wanted to do a twin engined The series van One up front one in the back but nothing materialised.

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:29 pm 
Silver Trader

Silver Trader

Probem with going to the 'dark side' is the taxes you'll have to pay on EVERYTHING.

I'm not a VAG diesel hater, far from it - for example an Audi A3 PD140 can be an absolute hoot when tuned (providing the suspension hasn't been tampered with, i'm still in pain from the last one) but you'll pay for it!

To make life difficult I'd probably go for a later 2.0 common rail engines and big turbo it if I was going down that route. Tuners are struggling to make decent power with these for a variety of reasons so rather than shy away I'd want to get stuck in personally.

Profile Feedback  

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]