Index     FAQ      Search

It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 SpeedView Head up Display (with discount for a How-To guide) 
 Post subject: SpeedView Head up Display (with discount for a How-To guide)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:50 am 
Rovertech Kiloposter

Hi folks,

I'm Marko and I've recently started a company to sell aftermarket Head up Displays. (gadget that projects speed onto your windscreen)

Here’s a quick video and a couple of photographs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCP7fzrHULw

I’m after some test pilots to snap some photos and a write quick “how to” for fitting it to various MGs/Rovers. (I provide universal instructions, but photos of the actual car make it much easier for others to follow)

I’m offering a big discount as a thank you for being a stupendous badass in exchange: These are £69.99 retail, will be £60 to forum members once commercial sales begin, and just £40 inc post if you’re the ones who snap the photos and add the “how to” to the speedview.co forum.

Perhaps most interesting to you ladies and gents is that you can adjust it to read absolutely spot-on even if you've played with tyres, gearboxes, or diffs. Perhaps you’d just like an accurate speedo? (the old Rover ones are notoriously optimistic) Did I mention it being dead flair and showing up well on camera too?

Any questions just ask here and I’ll happily explain more, or if you think you’d like to give it a go, drop me a line at forums@speedview.co or ask on here, thanks!

The universal install instructions:
http://www.speedview.co/help/download
The techie part is knowing where to find three wires – earth, ignition 12V, and vehicle speed signal (vss). (we can also make these work with mechanical speedometers, but suspect that most MGs/Rovers of this era will be electronic)

More general information:
http://www.speedview.co/features/
http://www.speedview.co/faq/

Profile Feedback  

Post subject: Re: SpeedView Head up Display (with discount for a How-To gu
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:58 am 
RT GOD

Just one tiny quibble, the whole thing looks great but I think your cutting out a portion of people who may want one by only going to 155MPH. I'm thinking serious tuned and high-end sports.

I know 99.9% of people who can go that fast wont, but there's always someone that will.

BRM #332 Sold
VVC coupe Sold
Had a Ti, sold it, regretted it so bought another :)

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:06 am 
Rovertech Kiloposter

Hi Mike,

155 mph isn't strictly true but it was an easy answer...

Short answer:

It will work absolutely fine through to 255 mph (or 255 kph) unless you're driving it from an ABS sensor with lots of teeth on a car with tiny wheels.

Long answer:

The display is an 8-bit (256) value, so the output side of the SpeedView can be 0-255 in either mph or kph. (it doesn't actually know the difference between mph and kph, it just displays the number that you tell it to)

The input side of the SpeedView is limited to 150 kph/155 mph at 64,000 pulses per mile. (This is about a 175/50R14 tyre with a 60 tooth ABS wheel) Faster than this, and the unit can't see the pulses. This is on purpose: imagine a sound system that only went from bass to mid frequencies - alternator whine wouldn't matter because it wouldn't amplify it. Same with the SpeedView - it has a low pass filter that listens to any sensible signal, and ignores higher frequency noise.

If you're running 64,000 pulses/mile, it'll ignore anything much above 155 mph. If you're running 32,000 pulses/mile or less, the output side will rail out first. Most cars are 4,000 pulses/mile.

I put 155 mph/250 kph as the advertised maximum because this was easier to explain / it would never be less than this, but it most instances its the output side (255 in either unit) that runs out first.

Demo:

Here's 182 mph. (In a spare set of old Rover 800 clocks sat on the kitchen table! Must be the quickest one around - the poor odometer almost had heart failure at 3 miles a minute...)

http://youtu.be/Ro1pBKxwU_s

Apologies for the most terrible quality video ever - I did the reflection off a glass casserole dish with no projection screen which is why it is so unreadable.

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:14 am 
RT GOD

Tasty.

Might be worth putting that on your website somewhere. Or some kind of "155 limit on XYZ but most vehicles will exceed this, contact for details? :thumbup:

Like I said in your other thread before I saw this one, I'd be interested but already have one. I do think they're a clever toy.

BRM #332 Sold
VVC coupe Sold
Had a Ti, sold it, regretted it so bought another :)

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:55 am 
RT GOD

tbh, off to the side doesn't really work for me, was their any reason it was fitted into the back of the speedo hood so to be directly visable while driving forward rather than turning to see it.

If you have to turn, you might as well look at your normal speedo.

:(

220 GTI M-series J777RAL
75 2.0 CDT P80CJM
620 SLI P267LOM HONDA
420 GSI Turbo L191CVP
220 Coupe now barely a shell :rip

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:22 pm 
Rovertech Kiloposter

I'll add a note on the website Mike :-)

Hi 1234dist,

Common question - everybody thinks they want it smack bang in the centre of their vision, and its where the OEMs put them too. Here's why I recommend putting it off to one side:

In aircraft there's nothing to look at except clouds or the head up display, so you use your "gunsight" to hone-in on your target. Watch the screen, aim for the target. Watch the screen, hit the target.

Remember when you were learning to drive, and checking the mirror/blind-sport was so tricky, because you kept drifting lanes? Or when you're trying to hit the Apex on track? You look there, you go there...

Now pop a head-up display on the screen. A friend of mine is involved with Light Blue Optics, working on laser-based displays. Take a look at their mock-up here, and tell me where your eyes immediately go:

http://lightblueoptics.com/products/light-speed/

The SLOW? The sign? The 58mph? They should probably be watching the road and that car in the distance.

The human eye/brain likes contrast and likes shiny things. If it moves, it'll watch it. If its different, it'll watch it. If it has legs, it'll... ...ok, nevermind, but you get the idea.

If you put the display smack bang in front of the steering wheel, its really really good for selling new cars. In the showroom, hands on wheel, gunsight on, new car, I'm a God, I'll take it! On the road its actually really really annoying, bordering on dangerous, as it keeps drawing your attention AWAY from the road in the distance and towards the bottom of the screen/end of your bonnet. This is why they have an off button...

Putting the display in the corner of your eye, like its a rear-view mirror, so that you immediately notice any big digit change (6something to 7something - or that leading '1' appears ) or the red alert shows means that you're still watching it, but it isn't distracting you from the road. Also, even if you do look straight at it, the road and the driver's mirror are still in your peripheral vision, so you'll notice anything changing there too.

The normal analogue speedo doesn't really "change" enough for your eyes to really notice, its too far out of your vision to be always in the corner of your eye, and its really not that useful keeping the steering wheel and your passenger's legs in the corner of your eye, compared to the road! Contrast change can be significant too (your eyes take time to adjust to the brightness of the black dash if its sunny out, or the dark road if the dash is bright at night) and the head-up fixes this.

You're welcome to have a go with the display centred on the wheel (but without the projection screen - Construction and Use regs say no to this, with good reason) but I guarantee you'll find it annoying/distracting.

In the corner is best, and much better than the OE speedo in my experience:

-Its accurate/precise (unlike the OE speedo)
-Its always in the corner of your eye (unlike the OE speedo)
-There's much less change in contrast for your eye to accommodate (this is slow for your eye)
-No head movement is required to view it (depends on your height/the car but most people usually tip their head to read)

Profile Feedback  

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:25 am 
Newborn - handle with care

<bump> for the better weather - not too miserable outside to fiddle with the car now. :-)

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]